Special Collections, James M. Milne Library, SUNY Oneonta Oneonta, NY, 13820
This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit
Special Collections, James M. Milne Library, SUNY Oneonta
College Camp Records
5.0 Linear feet: 8 Boxes, 1 Folder
Scope and Content
This collection contains materials about the college camp of SUNY Oneonta. It consists of correspondence, committee activities, photographs, articles, and other ephemera . The collection is arranged into two series.
Series 1: Record Group #39/14, College Camp
Series 2: Photographs
The first campsite used by the college was a small lodge built around 1940. It was called Unalayii and was located on a small pond a short distance away from Old Main. It lasted for a few years but it was not maintained and was abandoned. Vandals later tried to demolish the building. Right after World War II the college razed the rest of its remains. The college wanted to build a new camp for outdoor classes and recreation. In 1952, the Faculty-Student Association acquired a 65-acre farm on upper East Street, and also an additional 125 acres. By 1954, picnic and baseball areas had been cleared, some small buildings were being constructed, and a lake had been made. New trees were also brought in to be planted. In 1963, a student lodge and a caretaker’s house were built. In 1970, a ski area was added that was open to the public by 1972. The camp was very popular for several years until it was closed in 1993 because of budgetary issues. It was later re-opened in 2000.
[More information can be found in the article, “Camp Took Classes Back to Nature” by Mark Simonson, from folder labeled ‘2000s’ in Box 7.]
This collection is open for research.
Unpublished materials are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Author Last Name, First Name (if given). Identification of Item. Collection. Special Collections, James M. Milne Library, SUNY Oneonta.