1655 August 16—Father LeMoyne left Onondaga to return to
Canada via the river. He was the first known white man
to travel through the township. It 1/vas said that he
passed the falls on 19 August 1655. (Churchill P.35-36)
1656 17 May— 50 Frenchmen under Sieur Du Puys accompanied by
Father Dablow, 3 Jesuit fathers and 2 brothers left for
the Onondaga nation. Reached mouth of Oswego River in July
Messenger sent to Onondaga and the Indians came down to
meet them. (Churchill, P. 36)
I658 DuPuys party departed Onondaga nation for Canada.
(Churchill, P. 37)
1696 Count de Frontenac visited Oswego Falls area in July.
His canoe with him in it was carried over the Portage.
July 30-31—2200 French regulars, Canadians and Indians
portaged the Oswego Falls on way to attack Onondaga
nation. They returned 11 August.
1697 Treaty of Ryswick— French king acknowledged William of
Orange as the king of Gread Britan and Ireland.
(Churchill, P. 50)
1713 Treaty of Utrecht— Control of Iroquois was conceeded to
the English. (Churchill P. 51)
1725 De Longueil found a hundred English and Dutch traders
and 60 canoes at the Oswego falls.
1743 July— John Bartrau of Philadelphia visited through
the area on his way to Oswego. (Churchill, P. 56)
1748 October 18— Treaty of Aix-La-Chappelle, between British
and French. (Churchill P. 60)
1754 The French and Indian wars began.
1755 300 ship carpenters send down the river to Oswego in June
followed by 3 regiments.
1756 Shirley came through the area on his way to Oswego
(Churchill, P. 72-4)
In May 200 bateaux and 200 whale boats and 1,000 bateaux-
men came through the area heading to Oswego. (Morrel Press
Fulton booklet,P. 17)
3 July—Colonel Bradstreet while returning from Oswego to
Albany fought the battle between Minetto and Fulton whereby
Battle Island obtained its name. De Villers was the French
leader. (Churchill, P. 75-77)
1758 Some 8 or ten rods below Oswego Falls on the grounds of
Timothy Pratt on the east bank of the river a fort was