The Appellate Division Law Library for the 4th Department was established in 1849 and has a long and distinguished history. The Library actually pre-dates the court for which it is currently named by almost fifty years. As the Library approaches its 160th anniversary, it continues to rank among the largest court libraries in the nation. The Fourth Department consists of the counties within the Fifth (Jefferson, Lewis, Oswego, Oneida, Herkimer, and Onondaga counties), Seventh (Monroe, Wayne, Ontario, Seneca, Cayuga, Yates, Livingston, and Steuben Counties), and Eighth (Niagra, Orleans, Genesee, Erie, Wyoming, Chataugua, Cattaraugus, and Allegany Counties) Judicial Districts - twenty-two western New York counties stretching westward from the Adirondack Mountains to Lake Erie.
Judicial Portraits Collection
This is a collection of approximately 300 photographic portraits of judges and court staff primarily from the Seventh Judicial District, the Appellate Division Fourth Department, and the Court of Appeals. Most of the collection is on permanent display in the law library. A small collection of oil paintings is also included.
First Responder Insignia of Monroe County, New York
This collection consists primarily of scans of patches and badges from the many ambulance corps, fire departments, police departments, the Sheriff’s Department, corporate and educational institution security agencies, and other organizations currently or formally active within Monroe County, New York. A small sampling of insignia used by various state and federal agencies currently or formally active within the county is also included. The majority of scans are of items dating from the mid twentieth century to present. It is anticipated that images will continue to be added to the collection in the years to come.
For additional information about the collections or individual items please contact the library via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.