The Dudley Observatory is a 160-year-old astronomical institution located in the Capital Region of upstate New York. Its collection is currently housed at the Museum of Innovation and Science (miSci), and it includes the original telescopes, timepieces, institutional archives, astronomical research library and a number of films created or collected during the Observatory's history.
View the Dudley Observatory Digital Collection
Visit the Dudley Observatory Website
Dudley Observatory Collections:
Dudley Observatory Historical Archives:
This represents the general Dudley library and archival collection. The collection is strongest on the founding period of Dudley’s history (ca. 1850 – ca. 1860), the tenure of Lewis Boss (1876-1911) during which time the General Catalog was completed, and the tenure of Curtis Hemenway (1956-1976) during which time the Observatory studied micrometeorites, operated a radio telescope, and assisted the US Space Program.
San Luis Observatory:
In the beginning of the 20th century, the Dudley Observatory created a small observatory in San Luis, Argentina, in order to observe the stars in the southern hemisphere and complete the General Catalog. Under the leadership of Lewis Boss the staff of the Observatory completed this ambitious project, creating as astronomical resource that would remain useful for decades to come. This collection contains materials related to the San Luis project, primarily photographs and correspondence.
Dudley Observatory Artifacts:
For over a century, the Dudley Observatory was a functioning observatory focused on both public and technical astronomy. During this period the Dudley saw many transitions, from the introduction of photo-astronomy to the rise of computers, and many pieces of its equipment still exist in the collection. These range from the work horse of the Observatory, the Olcott Meridan Circle telescope, to various pieces of surveying and measuring equipment, to a small but useful collection of meteorites.