The Fayetteville Free Library began as a subscription reading room in 1906 when 50 public-minded citizens banded together to share their periodical subscriptions. The Library grew rapidly, expanding services as it moved from the front parlor of a private home, to a Greek Revival house across the street and then in 2003 to the former Stickley Furniture factory at 300 Orchard Street, renovated and repurposed to accommodate patrons of all ages with state-of-the-art technology, collections, and program opportunities.
The Fayetteville Free Library Postcard Collection
A representative sample of postcards, featuring historic images of the Fayetteville village streetscape dating back to the early 19th century. The original postcards are housed in the files of the Local History Room in the library. This digitization project was inspired by a collection of scanned postcard images donated to the Fayetteville Free Library by the family of Helen E. (Betty) Davis, a member of the Central New York Postcard Club.
The Women of Fayetteville Collection
A collection of broadly based images of Fayetteville women and their activities dating back to the 19th century. Original photos are housed in the files of the Local History Room in the library. The collection documents their association with social, civic and academic organizations and institutions. Of particular note are digitized documents from the archive of the Coterie, a women’s study group established in 1885 that continues to meet regularly to this day. A goal of the library’s overall digitization project is to expand this particular collection to pay tribute to the wide range of women whose drive and energy fueled the development of their community.
The Green Lakes Collection
One hundred twenty-one digitized photographs of Arvin Almquist, Superintendent of Green Lakes State Park from 1928 to 1948, form the basis of the collection. These images, donated to the library by his family, document the construction of the park by Civilian Conservation Corps workers. An index and a companion diary of project activity are also available for viewing in the Local History Room in the library. Additional images in this collection include photos printed from glass plate negatives in 1894 of the site later developed for the state park and a 1924 illustrated proposal for a state park authored by Henry R. Francis, professor at the NY State College of Forestry, Syracuse University. A full Green Lakes exhibit can be found on the library's website, here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Educational Resources
Read more about Fayetteville Free Library's local history projects here.