Skip to main content

About this collection


The Guilderland Public Library is located on Route 20, just west of the capital city of Albany.  The local history collection includes a variety of genealogical sources, maps, local newspapers in paper, microfilm and digital formats, and more than 1,500 books and periodicals. The library also provides access to several genealogical databases, including Heritage Quest Online, Jewish Data,, and American Ancestors. Special collections include the Arthur B. Gregg Collection, donated by the former town historian, the Franco-American Genealogy and History collection, donated by La Fédération Franco-Américaine du New York and the library archives.


View the Guilderland Public Library Digital Collection


Visit the Guilderland Public Library Website


Visit the Guilderland Historical Society Website


Guilderland Public Library Sub-collections: 


Arthur B. Gregg Collection

Arthur B. Gregg was the Town Historian for the Town of Guilderland for many years.  His personal collection of more than 100 titles on local, regional and state history previously resided at Farnsworth Middle School and was later donated to the library.  Two of his most essential publications have been digitized:  Old Hellebergh: historical sketches of the West Manor of Rensselaerswyck, including an account of the anti-rent wars, the Glass House and Henry R. Schoolcraft and Outline history of the Town of Guilderland, Albany County, New York.

Guilderland Historical Society Collection

The photographs in this collection are a small sample of the historical society’s holdings and have been watermarked to deter reproduction.  The originals can be viewed at the Guilderland Historical Society on Route 146 in Guilderland Center.  The photos are a reflection of the community’s Dutch heritage and show historic areas connected to leading families such as Crounse, Schoolcraft, Van Auken, Van Aernam, Van Rensselaer and Wemple.

Guilderland Central School District Collection

The digitized items were loaned by the Guilderland Central School District and can be viewed at the District Office at 8 School Road in Guilderland Center.  Included are several syllabi from the Altamont High School (now the site of Altamont Elementary School), from the early 1900s and yearbooks from Guilderland Junior High School (now Guilderland High School) and Farnsworth Middle School.

Postcard Collection

Most of the postcards in this collection are believed to have been produced by Schenectady photographer Parker S. Goodfellow. Between 1906 and 1918, he photographed more than 32,000 scenes around New York State, many in the Capital District.  According to an interview in the Schenectady Gazette, he traveled by foot, horse and buggy and motorcycle. More photographs can be found in the digital collection of the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Public Library.  Source:  Old Fulton New York Post Cards by Tom Tryniski

Guilderland Photographs Collection

Many of these photographs were donated and annotated by Guilderland residents.  Several views are of the local section of historic U.S. Route 20, constructed before the New York State Thruway (I-90) came into being.  The highway is depicted as a narrow dirt road, at times with a plank surface, with horse-drawn and early motorized vehicles, along with a wooden tollgate. Other scenes of interest are some of the town’s one-room schoolhouses, Fullers Station railroad station, covered bridges and by-gone industries such as the Globe Mills grist mill at French’s Hollow, the Newberry & Chapman Foundry and a wagon shop.

Library History Collection 

This collection documents the library’s early years (1957-1969), beginning through the initiative of the Westbrook Women’s Club.  The first location was at space loaned by the Guilderland Elementary School. Subsequent moves were to the laundry building next to the Wells gas station on Western Ave., the rear of the Westmere Plaza in a Central Markets space, then the front of the plaza.  With increasing population growth in the town, the library moved to 1900 Western Ave, staying there for 14 years.  In the years following, the library moved into rented space at 1873 Western Ave. in 1982, and then into a permanent building in 1992 after voters approved a change in status to school district public library. The library’s story through the years has been one of active and proud support by community members determined to provide the best library possible for their families.



Select the collections to add or remove from your search