The Nassau Free Library was orgainized in 1881. The first space was upstairs over Clapper’s Meat Market at the corner of Maiden and Church Streets. $25 a year was charged as rent. Five years later the library moved into the Huested Building at the corner of Elm and Church Streets. Then in 1893 the library incorporated and moved into the current building on Church Street. The structure was purchased from the Reformed Church for $200. The collection, at that time, numbered 425 books and a circulation of 1,650.
View the Nassau Free Library Digital Collection
Visit the Nassau Free Library Website
Nassau Free Library Sub-collections:
This collection contains material from 1896 - 1910 related to the Rensselaer County Fair. The Rensselaer County Agricultural and Liberal Arts Society leased land to operatea yearly fair in 1892 and the Nassau Fair is born. This annual event continued until 1944.