About Baldwinsville Public Library
In the fall of 1946, the Baldwinsville Travelers Club formed a committee to investigate the possibility of establishing a library in the village. The library opened its doors for the first time on January 6, 1948 in two rooms of the Lysander Town Building, formerly a trolley station. The library was open for service three days a week for a total of 201/2 hours with a collection of 1,000 books. As the Baldwinsville community grew so did the need for a larger facility. In 1956 the library moved to a renovated house. In 1974 the library was rechartered as a school district public library. The library then moved into an old Woolworth’s store in 1975. On October 29, 1994 the community gathered at the library with shovels in hand. Commemorative bookmarks and ribbons were tied to the shovels. “Shovels on Parade” proceeded to the site of a new building for the library. Following a few words of greeting, those gathered used their shovels to turn over the dirt. One year to the day, on October 29, 1995, over 2,500 people participated in the Grand Opening of the new library.
In addition to providing informational and recreational materials in a variety of formats the library has an art gallery and a local history room. The art gallery features local professional and amateur artists. The local history collection contains historical and genealogical information about Baldwinsville, Clay, Lysander, and Van Buren. It is continually being enhanced by donations of materials unique to the Baldwinsville Community.
The library board and staff continually assess library services in order to provide community residents with activities which support their pursuit of personal, educational, and professional interests, as well as cultural, recreational, and leisure activities.
Originally a slide collection, these images were donated by the family of Anthony J. Christopher Sr., a Baldwinsville native. Anthony was a well-known historian for the Town of Van Buren, a member of the board of directors of the Onondaga Historical Association, a trustee of the Baldwinsville Library and author of “Sketches of Yesterday,” a column appearing weekly in The Baldwinsville Messenger. Anthony was also a founding member and past president of the Beauchamp Historical Club and took an active role in its projects. Anthony and his wife, the former Carrie Eleanor Tucker, maintained a museum in a barn behind their home, collecting and preserving memorabilia of the Baldwinsville area. The Christophers were awarded a special citation by the Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce for “devotion and dedication to the cultivation, enhancement and preservation of Baldwinsville’s heritage.”
This collection includes images representing an historical snapshot of the people and places around the towns of Van Buren and Lysander, and the Village of Baldwinsville, New York. Spanning the 19th Century through the 1970s, the images depict the village doctors who charged one dollar per house call, the trolleys that moved people from B’ville to Syracuse to Fulton, the horsedrawn tobacco wagons, the peony and aster farms, the Baldwin Canal; the historical buildings, boats, industries and mills on the Seneca River, and much more. Anthony Christopher died in 1975.