Photographs and Postcards
Colton was established by an act of the legislature on April 12, 1843 and became the 27th. town of St. Lawrence County on February 1, 1844.
The hamlet was originally named "Matildaville" and the town "Springfield," however that was unpopular. So, the town's name was changed to Colton at the request of one of the town's pioneers, Jesse Colton Higley, honoring his mother's family name. The name at first met with resistance from some until Mr. Higley finally offered to provide all gunpowder for the July 4th celebration.
The pristine, natural land surrounding Colton has significantly impacted the Town's history. Technology, tourism, culture and hard work have all effected the development of the area in one way or another.
This collection has photographs and postcards detaiing the region in the general categories of buildings, churches, hydro, library, people, residences, school, lumbering, and Racquette River.