The Lake Placid Public Library opened its doors in July, 1886 and was granted a Library Charter as a School District Library in 1894. Since its inception, the LPPL has remained in the same building at 2471 Main St. as businesses grew around it. The LPPL caters to locals and visitors alike, offering a quaint, nostalgic atmosphere along with beautiful views of Mirror Lake, Whiteface Mountain, Cobble Hill, and the Sentinels. Along with an extensive collection of books of all genres, periodicals, dvds, audiobooks, and even artwork in the gallery, the LPPL also holds a variety of archival materials including the North Elba/Village of Lake Placid Historian Archive Collection, Lake Placid Club Collection, the Gettman collection, maps, scrapbooks, and newspaper articles.
This collection consists of historical photos, newspaper articles, postcards, and some personal notes of people, places, sports, and businesses pertaining to the Town of North Elba and Village of Lake Placid as created by Town and Village Historians Mary MacKenzie (1964-2001) and Beverley Reid (2001-present). Mary MacKenzie accumulated an array of materials in her 37 years as Town and Village Historian, and all around aficionado, dating back to the pioneer days focusing on telling the history of the area.