The Adirondack Collection at the Saranac Lake Free Library consist books, manuscripts, documents, maps, photographs and other printed materials illustrating the history of the Adirondacks with emphasis on Saranac Lake and the central Adirondacks; federal and some state census data for Essex, Franklin, Clinton and St. Lawrence counties covering federal census years 1850-1920 (1925 NY); the Adirondack Genealogical and Historical Society's books of cemetery inscriptions for southern Franklin County; church records; and an obituary index for the Tri-Lakes area.
Special Digital Collections:
Cure Cottages of Saranac Lake
Before 1946, when a drug based cure for tuberculosis was found, Saranac Lake was a renowned center for the only known way to cure tuberculosis, fresh air and complete bed rest. The Cure Cottages are buildings, mostly still present today, that became private sanatoriums for those sick with tuberculosis. The Cottages are focused on the fresh air and bed-rest treatment, having multiple porches, balconies, and sun-rooms, with enough room to place multiple patients on cots and hammocks.
The Cure Cottage "Cure Porches" were glassed-in rooms that were mainly added on to the house on the ground floor, or were modified from existing house features. These rooms were fitted with sliding glass windows that enabled the air to be regulated within the room. A standard treatment for the patients included at least eight hours resting within the Cure Porch.
View the entire Saranac Lake Free Library Digital History Collection
Saranac Lake Free Library website